Decadent Design for the Soft Surface - a 2-day Workshop with USA potter Ben Carter.
This workshop, at Waikato Society of Potters, focuses on integrating surface design with altered wheel-thrown and hand-built pottery. Workshop participants will learn a variety of surface design methods including slip decorating, sgraffito, stamping and other mark making techniques.
During the workshop Ben will discuss aesthetic issues (i.e. proportions, color theory, etc.), making strong functional pots at low fire temperatures, and creative problem solving in the studio.
Additional discussions of marketing, social media and the changing landscape of contemporary craft will leave the workshop attendees recharged, rejuvenated and ready to grow in their own studio practice.
Workshop attendees will leave with knowledge of the following topics:
- Methods for throwing with less water to create a softer surface.
- Quick manipulations of form for expressive gestural pots .
- Slip decorating with deflocculated slips
- Techniques for drawing on clay, including sgraffito, wax resists, and underglaze painting
- Tactics for marketing oneself online through social media.
- Tips for making strong functional pottery at low fire temperatures.
- Transforming creative ideas into physical objects.
WSP members $150
To enrol please email Waikato Society of Potters at email@example.com